Salvador de Bahia
August 31 • Arrival at Salvador de Bahia airport.
• Conversation with Antonio Carlos Magalhaes, President of the Brazilian Senate.
• Meeting with members of the movement in solidarity with Cuba who belong to the Bahia-Cuba Cultural Institute, at the Othon Palace Hotel.
• Meeting with Zezeu Ribeiro, candidate by the Socialist Workers Party to the government of Bahia and some trade union leaders at the Othon Palace Hotel.
• Interview to the press at Namibia’s airport.
• Conversation with Sam Nujoma, President of Namibia, at Namibia’s airport.
• Arrival at Durban’s International Airport.
• Conversation with Andres Pastrana, President of Colombia, at the Hilton Hotel.
• Conversation with Yasser Arafat, President of Palestine, at the Hilton Hotel.
• Conversation with Mohammad Khattami, President of Iran.
• Conversation with Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Prime Minister of India, at the Hilton Hotel.
• Speech delivered at the opening session of the Twelfth Summit of the Non-Aligned Countries Movement.
• Exchange with Nelson Mandela, President of South Africa, during the opening session of the Twelfth Summit of the Non-Aligned Countries Movement.
• Speech delivered during the first working session of the Twelfth Summit of the Non-Aligned Countries Movement.
• Closing ceremony of the Twelfth Summit of the Non-Aligned Countries Movement at the Conference Center.
• Conversation with Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, President of Angola.
• Conversation with Omar Hassan Admed Al-Bashir, President of Sudan.
• Conversation with Robert Mugabe, President of Zimbabwe.
• Fidel starts an official visit to South Africa at the invitation of Nelson Mandela after the conclusion of the Twelfth Summit of the Non-Aligned Countries Movement.
• Speech delivered at the South African Parliament.
• Speech delivered in the ceremony where he was awarded the Order of Good Hope, Grand Class, Grand Cross.
• Tour around the maximum security prison where Nelson Mandela remained incarcerated in Robben Island.
• Words pronounced at the official dinner hosted in his honor in Nederburg Estate.
• Meeting with the groups in solidarity with Cuba at the Cape Grace Hotel.
• Tour around the township of Soweto, a former black ghetto in South Africa.
• Speech delivered at the Hector Peterson Memorial, the first child killed in the Soweto massacre in 1976.
• Exchange with the photographer who captured the images of the apartheid regime in the ghetto of Soweto.
• Conversation with Thabo Mbeki, Vice President of South Africa.
• Meeting with health technicians and professionals who offer their services in South Africa.
• Arrival at Brasilia’s airport.
• Interview to the press at Brasilia’s airport.
• Conversation with Fernando Henrique Cardoso, President of Brazil.