Members of Venceremos Brigade Return to the United States
Members of the 40th contingent of the Venceremos Brigade returned to the United States on Monday after visiting Cuba in defiance of Washington's almost 50-year-old economic, financial and trade blockade of the Caribbean nation.
Quelle
AIN
Datum
Members of the 40th contingent of the Venceremos Brigade returned to the United States on Monday after visiting Cuba in defiance of Washington's almost 50-year-old economic, financial and trade blockade of the Caribbean nation.

According to Prensa Latina news agency, nearly 140 members of the brigade walked from Canada into the United States at Buffalo wearing orange T-shits and chanting for an end to US economic sanctions against the Caribbean archipelago.

Before traveling to Cuba in mid-July, the group sent a letter to US President Barack Obama calling for the administration "to realize its own pledges for a more diplomatic and humane US that respects the sovereignty of other nations."

In their letter, the members of the brigade announced their trip to Cuba and explained that they would return on August 3 without a license from the US Government, in defiance of existing Cuba travel restrictions and the blockade.

Meanwhile, about 130 members of the US-Cuba Friendshipment Caravan organized by the New York-based Pastors for Peace, also re-entered the United States at the Hidalgo International Bridge from Reynosa, Mexico.

Ellen Bernstein, associate director of Pastors for Peace, said her group also had a routine crossing after telling authorities they had been to Cuba.

"We are really determined to be ambassadors to the new administration for a new policy," Bernstein told the press.

In the past, some travelers have received letters and fines after their return from the Office of Foreign Assets Control, the US Treasury Department office charged with enforcing economic and trade sanctions.